Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have agreed to rent to a tenant who is disabled. Because…

Customer Question
I have agreed to rent...
I have agreed to rent to a tenant who is disabled. Because of his limited income and the general economy in my area I agreed to not have a lease and go month to month. I also agreed to pay the utilities which usually run about $25.00 for electricity and $22.00 for gas.
I have been receiving bills for electrical use of $l05.00 and 94.96. When I call the tenant he hangs up o doesn't answer the phone. I have emailed him and have no response. Do I hhave any recourse or am i stuck?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/6/2012
Lawyer: JBaxLaw, Attorney replied 6 years ago
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney

AttorneyJohnJ :

Hello, Please click the ACCEPT button, even if you have placed a deposit or are on a subscription plan.

AttorneyJohnJ :

In a month to month lease, a landlord can increase rent or change the fee structure for utilities with only one month's advance written notice.

AttorneyJohnJ :

There is no obligation to continue the current arrangement in a month-to-month lease.

AttorneyJohnJ :

The key is proper notice. A tenant who will not agree to such a change would be provided a one month notice to vacate.

AttorneyJohnJ :

In essence, such a change would be proposed and would go into effect after one month if an agreement was reached.

AttorneyJohnJ :

Were no agreement is reached a landlord would terminate a lease with one month's advance written notice followed by an eviction action in court if the tenant refused to vacate.

AttorneyJohnJ :

Please be so kind to leave me a positive feedback rating, if you have a few seconds. You will be prompted for feedback after pressing the accept button. You can still continue to post follow-up questions even after the accept button is pressed.

Thank you so much