Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in Colorado. I am living with a roommate. He is the…

Customer Question
I live in Colorado....
I live in Colorado. I am living with a roommate. He is the only person on the lease. The utilities are in my name, and I pay 1/2 the rent monthly via cashiers checks made out to my roommate. All of the furnishings in the home are mine. If he asks me to leave at his discression, do I have any legal rights per a verbal agreement to live together for the duration of his lease?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/5/2012
Lawyer: philip.simmons, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
philip.simmons
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

If you are not on the lease, you do not have a right to force the landlord to include you on the lease. This is due to the legal concept of "privity of contract". You are not part of the lease, so can not force the landlord to treat you as if you are on the lease.

But you do have a right to hold your roommate to any contract he and you may have. So, for example, if you are he have agreed that you will remain on the lease (so long as the lease is for 1 year or less) then you can hold your roommate to that verbal contract.

Verbal contract can not apply to a lease for longer than one year...but if your agreement is for less than that? You can hold your roommate to that agreement.

He can not evict you without going to court...If he tries to evict you then you can present evidence of your verbal contract to the court.