Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

can my landlord hold me to a 2 year residential lease on a…

Customer Question
can my landlord hold me...
can my landlord hold me to a 2 year residential lease on a house in Los angeles county california. although i agreed at the time i want out after a year and have been told by other home owners, that is is not allowed in los angeles county to sign anything over a 1 year lease? please help
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/4/2012
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be glad to help you.

Is your lease in writing?

Is it a 2 year lease?
yes
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, your neighbors / other home owners might have misunderstood or misinformed you.

As long as your lease agreement is in writing and both you and your landlord have signed it can be for 2 years or longer and still will be enforceable in LA County, California.

Here is the link to County of Los Angeles Department of Consumer Affairs website that confirms my answer:

http://dca.lacounty.gov/tsRentalAgree.htm

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Do you have any related follow up questions or do you need for me to further explain my answer to you?