Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in a private house in Brookly New York. It is a multiple…

Customer Question
I live in a private...
I live in a private house in Brookly New York. It is a multiple dwelling consisting of 3 families including myself.There is 1 familiy on the 3rd floor , 1 family on the 1st floor and i reside on the second floor. I occupy what is considered a landlord's apartment, meaning it is attached to the basement. I have no access to the basement it has been sealed off from my apartment.However the landlord has been renting the basement and the garage as an apartment. Unknowingly i have been paying the light bill for the basement for the past 6 years because it is on my meter according ing to Con Edison. The landlord willfully and knowingly allowed this to happen. She rented the basement apartment with the utilities included. I found out just recently because i got a bill from Con Ed for 1500.00 dollars (estimated ) from 2010. The landlord would never give Con Ed access to read the meters. This is 2nd time i got a bill like this, not realizing what was going on , i made arrangements Con Ed and paid it off in monthly installments. only to have Con Ed inform me months later that i didnt owe them that amount and the gave me a credit for about 6 months or more. I have spoken to past tenants and they now tell me that their light and gas was included in their rental of the basement apartment . Con Ed came out on 3/2/2012 but had no access to the meters because the landlord failed to show up. I took off from work. to be available because Con Ed stated that they needed to come into my unit as well, and that woul tell them exactly how much lights i use for my apartment. Con Ed person took 1 look in my apartment and saiod he knows exactly what is happening, because he serviced my type of dwelling many times ,i'm paying the light bill for the tenant below me. My landlord willfully and knowingly put this burden on me without my knowledge for the last 6 years, I am a single working mother.What is my legal recourse and how do i get reembursed for all the money i have paid to Con Ed on behalf of the tenants below.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/4/2012
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Have you made written demand for reimbursement? have you considered small claims court?

No. Not yet , all this this information just came to light in the last week or so. Can the landlord have me evicted if i start anf legal action against her. I have no lease.

You want to pursue those 2 steps then. Landlord cannot retaliate on this basis. What is more if you have a lease, landlord cannot breach the term of lease. If there month to month without lease, there is always a possibility landlord may try to end tenancy but practically landlord may not want vacancy and rent not being paid.