Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Hello, I own an apartment for which two tenants signed a…

Customer Question
Hello, I own an apartment...
I own an apartment for which two tenants signed a lease for 3 months. The lease states they have to allow agents to show the house during their stay, in order to allow me to find a tenant before their departure. Only, they are making it difficult, in particular, they don't want anybody to get into the apartment if they are not there, and they are not there very often.
They asked me what warranties I can offer for their belongings if someone steals something during a showing. Do they have the right to refuse showings? What should I reply to their question about the belongings? Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/3/2012
Lawyer: sjanda, Arbitrator replied 6 years ago
sjanda
sjanda, Arbitrator

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

As long as you are giving proper notice, usually that means 24 hours, before you do a showing, and it is Mon-Fri during normal business hours, and it is agreed in the written lease, you can show regardless of their limitations. They do not have the right to refuse due to their agreement in the written lease. As far as the belongings you can tell them that you will only allow persons in the unit when they are accompanied so that they will not be alone with the belongings but since they agreed to this in the original lease and they did not request any other warranty at that time, you do not agree to a change and you do not have to provide any warranties.

sjanda
sjanda, Arbitrator

The showing should actually have been on Saturday. In the contract it doesn't specify it has to be Monday-Friday. Is it implied? Thank you

It is implied because the courts usually only uphold mon-fri showing since the weekends are a time people are usually home and you asking them to allow showings is an invasion.

okay, thank you very much
You are welcome.