Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I gave a deposit for a room for rent and found out the neighborhood…

Customer Question
I gave a deposit for...
I gave a deposit for a room for rent and found out the neighborhood that I was going to move into was a very unsafe area. I told the landlord that I did not want the room in less that 48 hours from the time of signing a very vague contract. No where in the contract did it say that I would not receive my deposit back if I did not move into the room. The contract was not to start until the first of the month and I told the landlord on the 27th and had signed the contract on the 25th. The contract is month to month with only a weeks notice to end the contract. Does the landlord have any right to keep any or all of my deposit?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/2/2012
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be glad to help you.

Can you please give me more details about the contract you signed with this landlord and also what was the amount of the security deposit?

Was it one month security?
The contract simply states that I would be renting a room in SF, CA for $1500/month and that I would need to give 1 week notice to end the lease. Their is nothing in the contract saying that the deposit could be held if I didn't move in. The deposit was $850.00. It was a very vague contract that the landlord typed himself.
Thank you for your follow up.

Generally the landlord can have a claim against the security deposit for up to the amount of time it takes the landlord to find another tenant or in this case the amount of the deposit.

Because it appears that the agreement was pretty vague and you did give this landlord a notice before this month to month lease even started, I would suggest that you do pursue this case in the small claims court if the landlord refuses to refund your deposit, as you would have a fair chance of at least getting part of your deposit back through the small claims court.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.

Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated