Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I rent a room in a house where the homeowner lives. One roommate…

Customer Question
I rent a room in...
I rent a room in a house where the homeowner lives. One roommate has already left because the homeowner is so noisy and creepy. He screwed that roommate out of over half of his deposit by making up charges. I gave 30 days notice 2 days ago to move out and tried to pay just $100 today for $500 rent, letting him use my deposit for the balance. (i have been here 5 months, and there is no lease, no signed rental agreement). He threatened to lock me out of the house tomorrow if I did not pay the rent in full today and he'd sue me for 3 times the amount of rent, since "it's illegal to take your last month's rent out of the deposit." I am a clean 53 year old female and there is absolutely no damage. Could he actually lock me out tomorrow? Even if he had no legal ground to do so, how hard would it be to legally get in and get my belongings? Without a lease or rental agreement, am I actually obligated to give 30 days notice?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/1/2012
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 6 years ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

I certainly understand your situation. If there is no written lease agreement, you would be considered a month to month tenant. As such, you would need to give 30 days notice of your intent to vacate. HOWEVER, the owner can not use self help to get you out and change the locks and prevent you from getting your stuff. If he does, you could turn around and sue him for damages as a result of his actions and the court would award them. If you failed to give proper notice and just vacated, he could go after you for the damages as a result. Outside of that, if there is no damage, he could not likely recover for anything else.