Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

if my landlord is in forclorsure and never told me when i rented…

Customer Question
if my landlord is in...
if my landlord is in forclorsure and never told me when i rented my room. do i need to pay
my rent to her, as i could be asked to leave anytime.she has filed for bankruptsy and
i'm quite sure i will not get my deposit back.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/1/2012
Lawyer: jbwarren1969, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
jbwarren1969
jbwarren1969, Lawyer

j.warren :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.

j.warren :

I am sorry you are facing this situation. When a tenant discovers that the landlord's property is being foreclosed they should continue to pay rent until the foreclosure is complete. If a tenant fails to pay the rent they may face eviction and may further impair their rights after the foreclosure is complete.

j.warren :

Unless the new owner intends to occupy the home after the property is foreclosed, a tenant will receive 90 days notice to terminate the tenancy.

j.warren :

If a tenant could prove that the nondisclosure of the foreclosure amounted to fraud, the tenant would be permitted to recover monetary damages such as the cost to move.

j.warren :

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the ACCEPT button.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.