Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in NJ in one of two apartment complexes owned by the…

Customer Question
I live in NJ in...
I live in NJ in one of two apartment complexes owned by the same father & son. On January 19 we all received letters saying that on March 1 both complexes would become smoke free, no smoking in the apartments, on balconies, on sidewalks, or in the parking lot. We are wondering what the laws are based on what is in current leases, how much notification (if any) has to be given for any changes to the lease, and can they actually prohibit people from smoking in the parking lot, or on the sidewalks? They have threatened to evict anyone that breaks this new rule.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/1/2012
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good afternoon. They actually cannot, unless there is a local ordinance that requires them to change, unilaterally change the terms of your lease during the lease term. It's no different than you calling them up and telling them that as of March 1, you have decided your rent needs to change. They would respond that you have a binding lease and must adhere to it. You have the same rights here. They can decide not to renew your lease, but they cannot terminate you mid-lease term.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

insearchoftheanswer
OK, if a new lease is signed what would be the rights in the parking lot/outside areas? The parking lot is open (garden style apartments),
If you sign a new lease, they do have the right to restrict smoking in any common areas....including the parking lots and open space.