Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

The owner of the condo above my unit has a hot water heater…

Customer Question
The owner of the condo...
The owner of the condo above my unit has a hot water heater leak, burst or something that caused water to flood the ceiling, which subsequently broke through causing the carprt to be saturated. Since my unit was vacant at the time, I have no idea how long the leak was apparent, although the owner above me stated it was no more than a few days.
Apparently his insurance will not cover the damage to my unit, since it was not 'negligence'. My problem is though that I don't want to file a claim with my insurance for all of the obvious reasons.
The neighbor is not being receptive to taking care of the problem the right way and has just resolved to telling me to file a claim!
How should this be handled?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/1/2012
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good evening. With condos, it is either the above owner's responsibility or the association's responsibility....depending upon whether the water heater is deemed common area or belonging to the owner of the above unit. The one thing you know is that this is not your responsibility. So, what you should do is to file a claim naming them both. The court can then allocate responsibility. The other thing the filing of your suit does is bring the insurance companies for each the association and the owner into it. That is good, because the owner and/or association want coverage if they are held liable. And, the insurance companies are then under pressure, because the state insurance code provides that if they fail to reasonably settle, they are liable for not only the actual damages, but also 3 times that as punitive damages. So, once you file suit, you will be amazed at how their tones change.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Are you suggesting that I file a claim in court, or with my insurance company?

File a suit in court naming both the owner and the association. Not with your insurance company.
Well, this is a rental unit, with a new tenant 'moving in' tomorrow! Also, I live in CA and the condo is in AZ. Seems that filing in court would make the whole situation move extremely slow. Thoughts?

You can still repair your unit and move in a new tenant. It doesn't change the fact that you suffered the damages and that the cause was either the responsibility of the owner or the association. Do the foregoing, and still file the suit.

So your recommendation is that I repair the condo out of pocket and then file the suit? Do I need to personally by in AZ to file in court?
Yes...I would do that; and, yes, you must file in AZ...you can have an attorney file the suit...which is likely as far as you will need to go in your suit, but if it does get to a hearing, you will need to go personally.
What probability would you assign to me winning a case like that? And, I assume there should be additional $ potentially awarded for any legal fees, my time, lost rent, etc?
I don't know which will be held liable, but you should win this case because you were in no way at fault. And, yes, you can ask for lost rent time and legal fees, but not lost time. The lost rent will be a slam dunk; the legal fees will be up to the judge.
insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer