Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord cashed my new security check for my new lease on…

Customer Question
My landlord cashed my new...
My landlord cashed my new security check for my new lease on 12/01/11. I still have not gotten my new lease. What should I do
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/1/2012
Lawyer: sjanda, Arbitrator replied 6 years ago
sjanda
sjanda, Arbitrator

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

When is your new lease to start? Have you asked for a copy of the lease? Have you signed the lease?

Yes I signed the papers when they sent my my new lease and the new lease started Feb 1st. I do not talk the lease manager
First you need to communicate with the manager and request a copy of the lease. If they refuse it will depend on what state you are in on what remedy you have for the failure to give you a copy. What state are you in?
New York. But If they cashed my extra security deposit. and I still have no new lease I will not go over there because I do not like the her. She has no sense. I have never cashed my security w-2 for years.

If you have a rent stabilization lease here is the law.

New York City rent stabilized tenants are entitled to receive from their landlords a fully executed copy of their signed lease within 30 days of the landlord's receipt of the lease signed by the tenant. The lease's beginning and ending dates must be stated. (Rent Stabilization Code ("RSC") §2522.5)

For other rentals NY does not have a law requiring the landlord to give you a copy.

If you do not want to speak to the landlord, you can send a request by written letter certified mail.

can i talk with you
We can only communicate through the site, we can not exchange phone numbers. Sorry.
I need to know IF In NY state if i Should of gotten a new lease.
There is no law in NY for the state, only for NY city, that requires the landlord to give you a copy. Since you had the lease to sign it you could have made a copy then. But you have the right to send a request for a copy from the landlord, there is just no law to site to force them to give you a copy.
This is crazy I have lived here for 20 years. and never cashed any of my security depoists for 15. Must be something I can do.
I will opt out so another expert can help.
Lawyer: Attorney 1, Other replied 6 years ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Other
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed attorney and will be happy to assist you.

I will need some additional clarification in order to provide you with a helpful response.

Am I correct in understanding that you have lived in your home for 20 years, and that a rent deposit check that you gave the landlord in the beginning has just been cashed? And you now want a copy of your lease to determine whether the check was properly cashed?