Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

How to get your name taken off a lease that you co signed?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/29/2012
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good afternoon. You will have to get the consent of the landlord to be released from your obligation; otherwise you will have to give the landlord written notice that you are affirmatively not agreeing to be responsible for any renewal, in which case you would only be liable through the term of the lease.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Relist: Answer quality.
Lawyer: benjamin berkley, Es,
 replied 6 years ago
benjamin berkley, Es
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 33 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
I agree with the expert. that is the only way to get your name off the lease. And without consent, you cannot.

I wish you well. Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Otherwise I do not get paid anything at all. BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are also appreciated An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. I wish you the best in your future.