Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord charged me $450.00 for touch up paint for a property…

My landlord charged me $450.00...
My landlord charged me $450.00 for touch up paint for a property I rented for 6 months in California. Is that legal?
2/29/2012
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney

AttorneyJohnJ : Hello, Please click the ACCEPT button, even if you have placed a deposit or are on a subscription plan.
AttorneyJohnJ : The question is first whether you caused damage beyond normal wear and tear.
AttorneyJohnJ : If there was damage to the paint, then the landlord can recover there costs.
AttorneyJohnJ : You can ask for receipts to prove the repairs costs this amount.
Customer:

We did not cause any damage beyond wear and tear. Since we knew we were only going to live there a short time- we did not even hand one picture on the walls.

AttorneyJohnJ : If there was no damage, the landlord cannot charge for touch-up paint.
AttorneyJohnJ : In that scenario, you can file a civil suit to recover the deposit. The landlord would need to substantiate these charges.
AttorneyJohnJ : Sometimes filing a claim will result in settlement as the landlord will want to avoid costs and time of going to court.
Customer:

To take him to court, I would be out my daily income since I do not get vacation or sick time, and I would be out the cost to file is small claims. Is that something I can go after since the landlord said he will only give $150.00 back of the $450.00 we were charged?

AttorneyJohnJ : No. You cannot recover those costs unfortunately.
AttorneyJohnJ : One second please.
Customer:

Okay thank you.

AttorneyJohnJ : Did the landlord provide you receipts?
AttorneyJohnJ : and an itemized statement of repairs?
Customer:

Yes, It just says: Touch up Paint- $500.00 charge prorated to $450.00

AttorneyJohnJ : If you can prove the landlord acted in bad faith you may recover up to twice the amount of the security deposit.
AttorneyJohnJ : That could be a tough standard to meet.
AttorneyJohnJ : You are entitled to receipts.
AttorneyJohnJ : How long after moving did the landlord provide the statement?
AttorneyJohnJ : Are you still with me?
Customer:

We moved out on Nov. 20th. Were given our keys back two weeks later to do some cleaning (did the cleaning asked and retunred the keys to the rental agency, and I was provide an itemized disposition of security deposite dated the 9th of Jan.

AttorneyJohnJ : The law requires a full refund or an itemized statement of deductions in 21 days or less of moving out. That would start the day you actually surrendered possession of the rental.
AttorneyJohnJ : A landlord cannot retain the security deposit if they fail to meet that requirement.
AttorneyJohnJ : The law is Cal. Civil Code Section 1950.5(g)
AttorneyJohnJ : Here it is:
AttorneyJohnJ : http://law.onecle.com/california/civil/1950.5.html
AttorneyJohnJ : Be sure to scroll down to subsection "g" which contains the 21 day requirement.
AttorneyJohnJ : You will need to count out the days exactly between when you vacated and the itemized statement was provided.
Customer:

We did our walk through with the rental agency and they said everything was good. Then my husband called asking for the a copy of the check list that he had done with the rental agency. They then told us that the landlord still has to do his walk through. He did not get out to the property until two weeks later and told us we had to come and clean some additional things. We did so and still got charge $450.00 for touch up paint. Also, we paid rent for the month we were not there becauase we did not want to break the lease.

AttorneyJohnJ : I see.
AttorneyJohnJ : You can certainly consider small claims court due to the excessive charges.
AttorneyJohnJ : You just have to weigh the cost versus benefit.
AttorneyJohnJ : I hope you will be so kind to leave me a positive feedback rating.
AttorneyJohnJ : You can do so after the answer is accepted.
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney