Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I rented an apartment for two years we did an initial inspection…

Customer Question
I rented an apartment for...
I rented an apartment for two years we did an initial inspection and noted the problems when I moved out at the end of my lease I requested a walkthrough the company stated they do not do walkthroughs. I was waiting for my deposit and they sent me a bill. I replied within the time period to dispute the charges then they sent it to collections. They are charging me for things that were not damaged and thing they just wanted to do and replace. (painting, they paint before every tenant. A/C unit. They went out and purchased a new AC unit the kind that hangs out the window. According to the collections agency the initial walkthrough papers are conveniently "lost" However I don't have mine either. They said 94 nail holes who counts nail holes or better yet who hangs up 94 pictures in a 700 one bedroom apartment? If I do take them to court and I request discovery I would like to see the walkthrough inspections of the previous tenants and see if they also have "94" nail holes. This was an extremely old property. What can I do to stop this. I don't even care about my deposit anymore. I just want to stop them from hurting my credit. I am willing to go to court
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/29/2012
Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 6 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney

Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

The only thing that I have seen work is to file a small claims lawsuit against them. They will put this on your credit report and the collection agency will just keep harassing you. They will not take you to court so to get it resolved you will need to sue them for the return of your security deposit. You can do this in small claims court. Here is the information and the forms

http://circuit8.org/small-claims

They cannot charge you full price, they have to pro rate the charges. They cannot charge you for the air conditioner since that would be normal wear and tear.