Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Hello, I rent an apartment with two other roommates in Ohio.

Customer Question
All three of us are...
Hello, I rent an apartment with two other roommates in Ohio. All three of us are on the lease and we basically split the bills three ways. One of the roommates has this guy, boyfriend, guy she hangs out with, whatever he is, that she has broken up with several times or whatever but is back with now. Basically she picks him up Friday night..and he stays in our house with her until Tuesday or Wednsday the folloing week, nearly every week. He doesnt have a job, he doesnt have money, he doesnt pay anything towards the bills and obviously isnt on the lease. She goes to work Monday thru Friday..and leaves him at the house all day. We have brought up to her that he doesnt need to be there when she isnt home, so his visits should only be on the weekends and in the evenings. She got really upset and doesnt seem like she is going to even consider following our wishes nor understands why its a problem...do we have any rights thru the lease office or the police to have him and/or her removed if she doesnt follow our wishes??
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/26/2012
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
You need to start by reading your lease about guests. If there is no provision in your lease about guests, then unless you have a roommate agreement with your roommate , you have a problem and your dispute is between you and the roommate and not the landlord. The problem is that absent a guest clause or roommate agreement, your roommate has the same rights as you to the use of the apartment and if her guest is causing a disturbance you would have to give her written notice and if she fails to cure the problem, then you would have to file suit against her for any damages he is causing. This is the problem with renting where all parties are on the lease and there is no separate roommate agreement regarding these matters, since she has the same rights to the premises as everyone else and the lease terms is the only binding document.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Our lease does have an agreement against live-ins or adding additional occupants. It is against our lease for anyone else to live there or mvoe in without written notice to the landlord and acceptance from them. We dont know what would qualify as a live in or new occupant though..but he is here 4 or 5 days a week..occasionly showers and sits in the roomates bedroom all day while she is at work.
In that case, you need to notify the roommate she is in breach of the lease and if she does not comply (4-5 days every week is considered sufficient time for a violation in most all cases under the circumstances you described) you will notify the landlord and will seek to evict her. Then if she does not comply with the terms of the lease you can notify the landlord and you can also sue her for breach of the lease.
Do we need to notify her in writing? Or is verbal suffcient?
The notice needs to be in writing to have an actual record that can be introduced into evidence if you have to go to court.