Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am renting a house (Tampa, FL) for the third year already…

Customer Question
I am renting a house...
I am renting a house (Tampa, FL) for the third year already and 5 months before the lease is up the owner place a sign "for sale by owner" (without my consent) which made people knock on the door whenever and asking questions.... It will seem logical to me that such a sign should be placed only 2-3 months prior to the end of the lease. Anyway, I have a legal staff in my company and I would like to challenge them with some court decision that states that such a sign is an invitation for people knocking on the door and should have been done wit my approval and only 2-3 months before the lease is up. Am I obligated to show the house more than 2 times a month and can I be present during the showing? Can I express my opinion about the house to any potential buyer?

Please only a court decision that favors my rights as a renter and not a general law as I am already familiar with it.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/26/2012
Lawyer: David L, Attorney replied 6 years ago
David L
David L, Attorney

David L :

Hello. I will take a shot at this question. If you are not happy with my response, feel free to let me know, and I will opt out and open it up to other experts. I am a Florida licensed and practicing attorney. Your issue is governed by Florida Statutes, Section 83.53. I assume you know that, but I will reproduce it here just in case:

David L :

83.53 Landlord’s access to dwelling unit.—

(1) The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter the dwelling unit from time to time in order to inspect the premises; make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements; supply agreed services; or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.
David L :

The landlord may enter the dwelling unit when necessary for the further purposes set forth in subsection (1) under any of the following circumstances:

(a) With the consent of the tenant;
(b) In case of emergency;
(c) When the tenant unreasonably withholds consent; or
(d) If the tenant is absent from the premises for a period of time equal to one-half the time for periodic rental payments. If the rent is current and the tenant notifies the landlord of an intended absence, then the landlord may enter only with the consent of the tenant or for the protection or preservation of the premises.
(3) The landlord shall not abuse the right of access nor use it to harass the tenant.
David L :

So... it's pretty clear that there are two competing interests the statute is trying to address - the tenant's right to quiet enjoyment vs. the landlord's right to reasonable access.

David L :

I did some legal research and didn't find any cases similar to what you asked for. There are no specific cases interpreting 83.53. Here is my opinion in your case.

David L :

The landlord has the clear right to reasonable access to show the premises, even five months out from the end of the lease. However, you have the competing right of quiet enjoyment. Having said that, I would say the sign in the window is ok, but is should state clearly that the tenant should not be bothered and the landlord should be contacted by calling a provided phone number. Also, you have no responsibility to answer the door. You also have no responsibility to answer questions or to show the premises - those are all responsibilities of the landlord. You also have the right to be there for any showing and to be provided reasonable notice of same. I don't think you can limit showings to twice per month. I also think you are putting yourself in a potentially precarious position if you give your opinions to potential buyers.

David L :

Feel free to follow up and we can discuss further.

JACUSTOMER-zhorl3w2- : Thanks. I wish you could find me a case where he abused his rights or a case where the judge thought that five months is too much
David L :

I did look for cases, but nothing out there that would help you. Let me know if I can help you further.