Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Where do I find laws pertaining to evictions and selling of…

Customer Question
Where do I find laws...
Where do I find laws pertaining to evictions and selling of property due to refusal to pay lease
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/25/2012
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer
Good morning. Is this a residential or commercial lease?
commercial

Thanks. You find the laws for ejectment under Chapter 42 of the NC General Statutes. But, I can summarize your rights for you here. Basically, NC law does not allow you to lock the tenant out; rather you have to go through the legal process for eviction...called ejectment under the NC laws. This means that when the tenant is in default, you must first give them a 10-Day Notice to Quit...meaning they must vacate within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if they still have not left, you must file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is granted...you can have the sheriff evict them. You may then file a claim against them for all unpaid rent and damages not covered by the security deposit. Once you get your judgment, you can attach their assets, including bank accounts, to collect that judgment. Unfortunately, you must go through the formal process and what you cannot legally do is shut off the utilities, change the locks, or avail yourself of any other means of "self-help" eviction. Whether or not you can hold their assets hostage depends upon whether or not your lease agreement gives you a landlord's lien on the property....if so, you can hold the assets to secure payment; if not, you cannot.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.