Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

The landlord seems to be disregarding this concept and continues…

Customer Question
The landlord seems to be...
The landlord seems to be disregarding this concept and continues to indicated that he expects me to allow him entry to begin work. I have repeatedly, in clearly stated written communications, noted that he does not have my authorization to do so. If workers show up at the door, or my landlord, what steps should I take?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/24/2012
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

You can simply not let them in. Period. You can even call the police if you have to. Unless the lease states otherwise, they cannot come in to renovate - only to fix needed problems.

The landlord may be anxious to renovate because they may have a sale soon, but that is too bad - for the duration of the tenancy, the access to the property in most situation is controlled by you.

You may also sue the landlord for trespass, and/or leave the property and sue him for constructive eviction and trespass.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated. You can always link to my profile for another question at a later time:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-elyJD/
Ely, Counselor at Law
The confusion is that there is mold that needs to be repaired/remediated in an adjacent bedroom, to which I not only consent, but am eager to have resolved. He is trying to connect this needed repair with a kitchen update "and other improvements" since I will already be disrupted. They are not connected, but would be convenient for him. Any other considerations with this in mind? It is the difference of me being displaced for 2-3 days versus 2-3 weeks.
Then he can only repair what you consent to and what is needed. Otherwise he is out of luck. Either he does what is necessary, or he does not do it (and if this is a repair that is needed, then he must do it). You hold all the cards here - use that leverage. Perhaps ask him to lower the next month's rent for allowing him to inconvenience you with the secondary non-mandatory repair...

There is a difference at you being displaced but again, he cannot do anything without your permission. Don't allow him to bully you!

Ely, Counselor at Law
Thanks - hit the nail on the head - feeling bullied.
Right. Don't be - you have the leverage here.