Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My inquiry is on behalf of my son -- he has a rent-to-own contract…

Customer Question
My inquiry is on behalf...
My inquiry is on behalf of my son -- he has a rent-to-own contract with a family living in his house since 2003. The contract states that they are to make the payments by the first of each month and that they will maintain the house and keep it in good repair.
They have been late numerous times with their rent check, but my son never pressed the issue by charging them late fees. Last fall they fell behind in their rent by four months --- he sent them a registered letter at that time informing them that they had two choices: either get a loan to pay off the balance of what was owed on the house or to get out. They paid the four months rent, but again did not pay any late fees. In January 2012, my son cashed the rent check and subsequently received a letter from his bank informing him that the check had bounced and he was charged fees for cashing a bad check. He again sent a registered letter informing them that they were evicted and he wanted them out of his house by February 10th. They in turn said that was not adequate time to get out, so he extended the time frame to February 29th. They now have enlisted the services of an attorney and in a registered letter to my son, informed him that it was not in the best interest of their family to move out of THEIR home.
The exterior of the house is in a sad state -- they have never painted, the front door is boarded shut with a sheet of plywood and the front porch steps are missing;there is no telling what condition the interior is in --- when driving past the house, there is evidence of a 2x4 unfinished framed wall in the living room.
What rights does my son have? Does he have grounds to evict them? What rights do they have?
Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/24/2012
Lawyer: insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
insearchoftheanswer

Good morning. These people are in default and he has the absolute right to terminate their contract and begin the eviction process. He must follow the legal eviction process to do so. That requires him to first give them a 15-Day Notice to Quit...meaning they must vacate within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if they still have not left, he must file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is granted...he can have the sheriff evict them. He can then file a claim against them for all unpaid rent and damages not covered by any security deposit. Once he gets a judgment for those amounts, he can attach their assets, including bank accounts, to collect that judgment. Unfortunately, he must go through the formal process and what he cannot legally do is shut off the utilities, change the locks, or avail himself of any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to getting the eviction order issued by the court.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.