Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in a mobile home park where I rent the space and own…

Customer Question
I live in a mobile...
I live in a mobile home park where I rent the space and own my home. I have lived in the park almost 5 years. I have 2 driveways I have used since I moved in, one side has a carport where I can park 3 cars and on other side of home is a concrete pad to park an additional car. I have 3 cars and at times I have 4 vehicles, the 4th being a company vehicle when I am working.
My lease agreement I signed when I moved in didn't say anything about not parking in additional space if it isn't grass or landscaping. I have been served a letter from the parks attorney that I am in violation of the parking rules. Nothing has ever been said to us or have we signed anything stating about not being able to park in the extra space until just recently when the park had an insurance agent did a park walk thru stating parking is not allowed and is unsafe to park on the left side of our homes, (extra space), now I have been given a termination letter if this is not corrected by the end of next month. What are my rights to this situation?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2012
Lawyer: Tina, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Tina, Attorney
Hello and welcome,

Do you have a month to month lease or a lease for a specific term?
My lease is month to month
I see.

With a month to month lease, either party can typically provide notice to terminate the tenancy for any reason that is not prohibited by law. Where the tenant has resided there for more than one year, 60 days notice is normally required.

However, since there is no written lease in effect, either party can terminate it with notice normally, so if you do not wish to move it would be best to comply with the new requirement unfortunately, since the owner does normally have the discretion to implement and enforce reasonable rules with regard to use of the property.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.