Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

How do I get my ex fiance out of my apartment. She is not…

Customer Question
How do I get my...
How do I get my ex fiance out of my apartment. She is not on the lease, does not pay rent, does not receive mail there.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/22/2012
Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Other replied 6 years ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Other
Short of taking legal action against here, why don't you just give her an "official" notice to move out, and inform her that as of such and such date, the locks will be changed. She is required to remove all of her property prior to that date, or else you have notified her that you will donate the property to charity.

Good luck to you. Please press the green ACCEPT button. Thanks.
The police are of the mindset that because she has been there for more than 30 days stronger legal action may be needed. I do not want to end up in legal trouble for illegal eviction.
Perhaps you should go to your landlord and explain the situation.

Have the landlord give her official notice that she is not on the lease and is required to vacate. Furthermore, the landlord can give notice that her presence is putting your tenancy in jeopardy, since she is not on the lease and otherwise not entitled to be there.

That would be advisable, because it "takes you out of the picture," and the pressure is coming from the landlord to vacate. Be careful with the police involvement, as you do not want the situation to escalate and put you at risk of any domestic violence issues should an altercation between you and your ex-fiance ensue.