Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Im in need of legal advice for my current situation. I live…

Customer Question
I'm in need of legal...
I'm in need of legal advice for my current situation. I live in Austin, TX. In December, I allowed a person to move in with me that was in need of a place to stay. I had an extra bedroom in my apartment and she was about to be homeless. Additionally, I am totally blind and thought that it would be good to have an extra set of eyes around (to get groceries, etc.).

She had been using my parking pass given to me for my apartment until my mom visited and accidentally left with it. She threw a fit and demanded the pass back before her car got towed. Unfortunately, her car got towed before I could get the pass back and she is now demanding the money to recover her car. Things have gone downhill quickly since this incident. She has now become very hostile and threatening of me. At one point, she demanded that I allow her in my room to look for the pass she thought I was keeping from her and then threatened to call the police on me if I did not, reporting that I was physically abusing her. She did, in fact, call the police and report that. Clearly, no abuse had taken place, so that problem resolved inself. After that, I moved all of my computer quipment out of the house (and with her knowing I did so), she called the polic again, this time to report a burglary.

Like I said, I am totally blind. Therefore, she has now resorted to hiding my things around the house so that I cannot find them. For example, I found my hair clippers hidden under the living room chair... My unopened bottles of Gatorade hidden behind the couch. Now, she has taken my tennis shoes and hidden them - knowing that I walk everywhere and desperately need them. I still cannot find my shoes. I have called the police and asked if someone could assist me in going through her room (my room, I moved out of mine and into my girls' room so she would have a room). The police came, but told me I was being juvenile. So here I am.

I do not have much money to spare at this point. I did serve her with a 30-day notice to vacate in writing last week. I worry that if I pay to file for an eviction that she will appeal it and I will need an attorney... which I cannot afford. I've considered trying to move to another apartment in my complex, changing my address, meaning I am not obligated for her to stay with me at that point. Is there anything covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act for such a circumstance? I'm just not sure what my best course of action is at this point. I'd really appreciate any legal advice!

Thanks,

Jad
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/21/2012
Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Fran-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Yes, I am still waiting. I've not received any responses.
Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Lawyer: LawBeagle, Attorney replied 6 years ago
LawBeagle
LawBeagle, Attorney

Provided that you did not sign a sub-lease with that person, you are being more than accommodating. You are not required to give her 30 day notice simply because you took someone in out of the goodness of your heart. You have no legal obligation to this person. If she refuses to leave, you can absolutely change your locks and call the police for any harassing behavior, although you do have to give her her belongings if they are stored in your apartment.

At this point, I would strongly recommend you getting someone to help you with this person, and consider involving the police as well.

If you did sign some sort of documentation with her, follow the terms of that agreement.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions! I hope this helps. If my answer has been informative, please click the green Accept button, as I will not receive credit for my response unless you do so. I am happy to answer follow up questions. After you hit Accept, type your response and hit reply, and I will get right back with you. Thanks again!

I love working with the same customers, as this provides a better experience for you. You can now go DIRECTLY TO MY WEBSITE, WWW.LAWBEAGLE.COM, and enter your questions directly into the Just Answer boxes there. Don't forget to book mark it. If you prefer to enter your questions on the just answer site, but would like to request me, simply put "FOR LawBeagle" at the beginning of your future questions.

______________________________________________________________________
DISCLAIMER Just Answer experts DO NOT provide legal services. In order to obtain a legal opinion or advice, you must retain the services of a licensed attorney located in your state. The answer provided is FOR INFORMATIONAL OR RESEARCH PURPOSES only, and does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON TO MAKE LEGAL DECISIONS. YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY RESPONSE ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL, as they are viewable by the public. No attorney-client relationship is formed. By viewing my response, and/or clicking the "Accept" button, you are agreeing to these terms.
This is conflicting information with what I have been given from the police and the Travis County Justice of the Peace. I was told by them that an oral agreement to these living arrangements counts as a legal agreement. Can you provide references to laws that I can refer to that state what you're saying? I have not been able to find anything...
What specifically was your oral agreement with her?
The oral agreement was that she could stay with me as long as she needed a place or until May when my lease is up.

Did she agree to pay rent?
No, there was no agreement to pay rent.
LawBeagle
LawBeagle
LawBeagle, Attorney