Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Im renting a Townhome month to month,my landlord raised my…

Customer Question
Im renting a Townhome month...
Im renting a Townhome month to month,my landlord raised my rent 354.00.,starting next month.Can she legally do this? If it was 50.00 dollars a month I can understand,but 354.00 dollars?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/19/2012
Lawyer: philip.simmons, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
philip.simmons
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Unless the property is covered by rent control laws (and very few areas are), the landlord is free to charge whatever they like for the property. Of course, you are free to refuse to pay that amount.

SO the short answer is yes, they can raise the rent...and you can move out if you do not believe the amount requested is fair