Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

i live in a trailer park where we own the trailers and pay…

Customer Question
i live in a trailer...
i live in a trailer park where we own the trailers and pay lot rent.the landlord recently purchased 4 or 5 new trailers. my wife and i talked to the park manager,and was promised a certian trailer.we have pets and even offered to pay a pet deposit along with our down payment.we was promised the trailer.he said it would be all worked out.now hes saying that the owner said no pets. when i confronted him with this hes says hes eveicting me. my question is 2 part. 1) if im buying the home,can i be told i cannot have pets? 2) can i be evicted for pointing out what a liar the manager is to his face?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
2/16/2012
Lawyer: JBaxLaw, Attorney replied 6 years ago
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney

I am an expert at JustAnswer and will be assisting you. I would like to address a few important issues before answering your question.

Please note, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, no legal advice is being provided, no attorney-client relationship will be established and only general information is provided so that you may analyze your situation.

ANSWER:

Florida law states all lot lease will be for one year whether the agreement is in writing or not. A mobile home park landlord may only terminate your lot lease if there is a basis to do so. The law lists reasons such as a violation of park rules. But, those rules can only be used as a basis for an eviction if enforcement is not arbitrary. The landlord would need to pursue an action in court and without a basis under the law to evict, they would not be successful. Here is the law containing the permissible basis to evict at:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/723.061

The park landlord cannot simply make rules up as they choose. Rules, including the pet restriction, must be posted. If the restriction for pets is to be enforced it must be in the park rules and must be posted. The law requiring this is FS 723.035 at:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/723.035

Your rights as a potential purchaser of a home in a park are governed under FS 723.059 and can be viewed at:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/723.059

Please feel free to follow-up. These detailed matters are difficult to address in this context because of the vast number of variables. Sometimes the back and forth dialogue can help us sort through those issues. My goal is leave to you with a satisfactory answer.

Please do not forget to accept the answer if the information provided has been satisfactory to this point. Placing a deposit only ensures that the site is paid. I receive no credit if you do not press the accept button. If you have a subscription, there is no additional cost to accept the answer. We can continue our dialogue with additional follow-up questions even after you press the accept button. Last and most importantly, please be so kind as to leave me positive
feedback.

Thank you so much