How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawInfoNow Your Own Question
LawInfoNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawInfoNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a landlord keep your things for back rent in Kansas

Resolved Question:

Can a landlord keep your things for back rent in Kansas
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawInfoNow replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with landlord-tenant law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification after reviewing the following information.
  2. "Can a landlord keep your things for back rent in Kansas" No, absolutely not, doing so is unlawful. Kansas Residential Landlord And Tenant Act, codified at Kansas Statutes § 58-2540 et seq. This would amount to a form of theft. If you are the victim of such behavior, report your situation to local law enforcement.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.58-2540

LawInfoNow and other Landlord-Tenant Specialists are ready to help you