OhioAtty
OhioAtty, Lawyer
Experience:  Well over a decade of training and legal experience in private practice.
15393114

ON MY UNLAWFUL DETAINER SUMMONS IT SAYS, "YOU HAVE 5

ON MY UNLAWFUL DETAINER SUMMONS IT SAYS, "YOU HAVE 5 CALENDAR DAYS AFTER THIS SUMMONS AND LEGAL PAPERS ARE SERVED ON YOU TO FILE A WRITTEN RESPONSE AT THIS COURT AND HAVE A COPY SERVED ON THE PLAINTIFF." DO I FILL OUT THE PAPERS TAKE THEM TO COURT HAVE THEM STAMPED BY THE CLERK, THEN SERVE THEM, OR DO I FILL THEM OUT SERVE THEM THEN TAKE ALL THAT TO THE COURT? THIS CASE IS IN CALIFORNIA
Chat Conversation Started
J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

You must fill out the forms, make two copies, and have someone who is 18 or older (and not a tenant) mail one of the copies to the landlord or the landlord's attorney (if the landlord is represented).

J.Hazelbaker :

The person who mailed the copy needs to fill out a proof of service form, which is available at the following link:

J.Hazelbaker :

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/pos040.pdf

J.Hazelbaker :

You can then file the original form with the court. The court might also serve the answer, but it would cost an additional fee.

J.Hazelbaker :

Here's a a link to a comprehensive guide to responding to an unlawful detainer action in California:

J.Hazelbaker :

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/other/landtenqa-ten.htm

J.Hazelbaker :

I see you are still offline. Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions when you log back on.