Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a lease with Camden Stonecrest, I need to break my…

Customer Question
I have a lease with...
I have a lease with Camden Stonecrest, I need to break my lease 5 month early. The only clause that will allow me to break my lease without penalty is an active military transfer. Seeing how I am not a member of the United States Armed Forces, this is not a viable option for me. However, My lessor (owner) requires me to carry renter's insurance which I have never had. Camden Stonecrest my lessor, contersigned my lease without proof of a renter's insurance policy. I realize that notifing them of this will cause my eviction if I don't obtain this policy. My question is, since I want out of my lease early, and the fact that they did not verify proof of insurance prior to the lease signing, is there a way for me to get out without paying penalties?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
7/10/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Dear JACUSTOMER - You can't get out of a lease because you are violating a provision such as having renters insurance. If that were the case anyone who wanted out of a lease would simply break some rule and then be let out. If you are evicted then the landlord will sue for the balance of the lease less any mitigation from the re letting of the unit.

If you simply move the same thing will happen. If the lease is clear as to the means of "escape" such as the military provision then you cannot break the lease. My suggestion is to see if the landlord will work with you to offer some payment for early release. That way it will not negatively affect your credit for future rentals. There is just no legal way to break a written lease without cause.

Dave Kennett