Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2004 Kia Sedona. While driving, it suddenly stopped…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Kia Sedona. While driving, it suddenly stopped running. I was able to crank it back up, but shortly afterwards, it stopped again and would not restart. The mechanics have it now, but they do not have all the equipment needed to check fuel pressure. They have an indication that it might be the crank position sensor. Is that likely?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No. It just stops running

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a bot?

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have nothing else to add. Don't. I did not realize there was a charge to this.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Kia
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Kia Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 19 days ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** is not a free service. if you are ok with that then we can continue

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I paid the deposit.

are you getting rpms when cranking the engine?

ignore any pop-ups for phone calls please

then its not the crank sensor

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I will
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Hmm. I thought I saw the gauge move, but I wasn't really concentrating on it.

when you turn the key to the on position can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I did not notice. One thing to add. The mechanics who have it now state it will start and run for a bit (up to 45 minutes once) and then just stop.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I have a feeling they suspect the fuel pressure, but they do not have the equipment to measure it.

they need to monitor the fuel pressure to see if maybe the pump is overheating after running a while. if they do not have the proper equipment then I would have it taken somewhere else. every competent shop should have that type of equipment

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
They are competent, they just don't have the fittings for a Kia. It is not something they work on very often.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Thank you for your advice. I will discuss it with them.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
How do I end this chat?

ok well keep me posted

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
If you have another idea, I appreciate it, but I think your thoughts match what the mechanics believe.

my thoughts do match theirs, but, without proving it, you are taking a chance on paying for a pump replacement and it not fixing the problem

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I understand. I do want proof before sinking funds into it.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I was about to spend the money on the CPS, but you have prevented that mistake.

then they need to at least have a scan tool that reads fuel pressure. they can monitor the scan tool while the engine is running

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Okay.

let me know

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I won't know until tomorrow most likely. I do appreciate you taking the time to assist me now. I need to get back to my job, though, so could we close this out, please?

Ill keep this open until tomorrow for the results. thank you.

Kia Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 16 days ago

hows it going?