Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

For the last couple weeks when I would start it, it would…

Customer Question
For the last couple...

For the last couple weeks when I would start it, it would rev up on its own., like I was stepping on the gas, in park and in drive. it would cut out occasionally but this morning it revved up like it usually does while it was in gear, then the check engine light came on and there was nothing when I stepped on the accelerator in neutral or drive. no rpms - no nothing. I hooked a code reader up to it and it is saying its the engine control module.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

I believe it stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2005 amante

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. Was just looking at parts to see what I could find searching the web for ideas. I really don't know much about mechanic work but .... I have been looking for a different car so don't want to put a whole lot of money in to it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Kia
5/26/2018
Kia Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Did you check for any trouble codes? Also I would recommend checking for vacuum leaks . The other thing you can do is clean the throttle body.

If you wish I can better explain any of this better using a service for a one on one chat if you wish.

I did run a code meter on it and it said P2108 - Throttle Actuator Control Module performance and ETS-ECM Malfunction which is the engine control module. As I was looking for parts I read that most of the time the ECM isn't the problem though that there is something else causing the issue. I talked to someone local and they seem to think its the catalytic converter backed up. After sitting for awhile I can get the RPMS up while in park but right at 5500 (i think) it starts missing and greyish smoke and liquid come out the exhaust.

At this time I would recommend putting it on a scanner so we can watch all the perimeters especially the o2 sensors , which will tell you if the cat is acting up . Also it will show the perimeters of all other sensors and actuators.