Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Crank shaft damper bolt keeps coming loose. 2006 serenity.

Customer Question
Crank shaft damper bolt...

Crank shaft damper bolt keeps coming loose

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2006 serenity

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, not fixing myself. Previously, locked tight on damper bolt, and tightened more than specs.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

140,000 miles. This has happened the 4th time in 2000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is a V6. engine.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Kia
5/25/2018
Kia Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

These are torque to yield bolts and CANNOT ever be reused as they will not hold their torque.

From KIA service manual

KMA has received some questions regarding the proper torquing of the Crankshaft Pulley Bolt. The bolt and washer should be replaced every time the bolt and washer are removed and SHOULD NOT BE RE-USED. This bolt and washer must be torqued to 130 lbs. ft. (176 Nm) by hand using a properly calibrated torque wrench. The flywheel must be held stationary while the bolt is being torqued. Under NO circumstances should the bolt be installed using an air impact gun!

Have your mechanic install a new bolt and washer, remove the starter and install a flywheel holder and tighten using a torque wrench, NOT an impact gun. Tightening with an impact gun can stretch the threads on both the bolt and the threads in the crankshaft itself.

If the bolt comes loose again, then the threads in the crankshaft were stretched from the over torquing of the bolt previously and the crankshaft has to be replaced.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Unless you have another question regarding this, at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE /3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.