Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

How do you seperate the joint from the control arm and axle…

Customer Question
How do you seperate the...
How do you seperate the joint from the control arm and axle on an 08 Kia Sedona? Thing has no pry room and won't pop out
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Kia
4/3/2018
Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

You can try to use a 3-5 lb hammer and hit down on the control arm otherwise next step would be using a pickle fork which you can get from your local parts store for around $10. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Won't a pickle fork ruin the bolt? Also, not enough room to hit down on the control arm

You can use a punch with a hammer to hit down on control arm. A pickle fork will ruin the ball joint boot so you will need to replace ball joint but sometimes there is no way around it. Especially on this design where you can't get a press in there. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

.

If you are only trying to replace the axle you may be able to remove tie rod end where it connects to knuckle, remove bolts that connect knuckle to shock, then push down control arm with knuckle attached enough to pull out axle.

How much is a replacement ball joint boot thing? Or do we need a whole new control arm? Also how hard is it to replace?

If you are trying to only replace the axle make sue to try and disconnect shock and push down control arm enough for it to clear, this is usually how I replace axles. Another option is knock out those 3 bolts holding ball joint to lower control arm and then you can pull ball joint out of lower control arm and leave it connected to steering knuckle. But a replacement ball joint is about $30 and you do not need to replace the whole control arm. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

The bolts in the picture look to be welded in though

They look like they should pound out from what I can see. Ball joint is typically riveted in place or bolted in place, I've never seen a ball joint that had welded bolts. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

But again...if you are just trying to remove the axle then remove steering knuckle from shock and tie rod end then bend it down out of way to remove axle.

Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.