Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Whining like siren from engine compartment increases with…

Customer Question
Whining like siren from engine...
Whining like siren from engine compartment increases with engine speed in gear or neutral
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Kia
4/2/2018
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 19 days ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Have you noticed any power/engine power loss or running issues with this fault here?

Has anything been checked, tested or replaced to try and locate and repair this issue here at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
No power loss nothinng checked tested or replaced

O.k.

What needs to be done first here is remove the engine drive belt temporarily then start the engine.If the noise is gone then it is one of the pulleys at fault that the drive belt operates.This was most common with an idler pulley or belt tensioner pulley bearings failing.If the noise goes away with the drive belt removed then you need to spin each pulley by hand to see if you feel or hear one that is rough or causes any noises.If you locate a rough feeling pulley or noisy pulley when this is done then that pulley needs replaced to resolve this fault.

If the noise is still there with the belt removed this can be a fault with the turbo itself failing ( turbo equipped models ) and the turbo will need to be checked to see if it needs to be replaced to resolve this issue.

These are the most common causes of this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician