Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Audio unit turns off while driving. 2014 kia optima LX.

Customer Question
Audio unit turns off...

Audio unit turns off while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2014 kia optima LX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes... Checked fuses an battery. No problems. If i hit a bump the unit goes out completly (memory as well)

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Nope

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Kia
3/29/2018
Kia Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Do the gauges flicker or go off and on as well or any other electronics or is it just the radio that does this?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No sir.. Everything else is working fine.. Just the darn Audio unit. It will work usually longer if im parked but still it cuts out totally after a few minutes. It cuts out when i hit a bump, turn the bass\volume up. I closeed the hood today an that also caused it to go out..

If you tap on the radio or dash area around the radio does it cut out then at all?

it does

O.k., this indicates the fault is most likely in the radio itself or the connector to the radio is loose.You will need to have the radio removed and inspect the wiring and connections at the back of the radio for any loose connection issues or any wiring damage.If the connection and wiring are all found to be o.k. then, unfortunately, the radio has to be repaired by an authorized repair center ( usually through a dealer ) or replaced to correct this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Ive done that.. I did find a wire running to the amp last night that turned it back on evertime i touched. It was behind the climate control panel.
It was a thick bundle of wires

O.k., if you did not check this wire for any damage to it or a short to where it is contacting a metal body component this needs to be done.Also, this wire needs to be checked where it crimps to the terminal in its connector to see if the wire crimp has come loose needing re-crimped or if the terminal itself needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately, you will need to follow this wire bundle to locate if the wire is shorting out or if it is loose at the terminal it crimps into causing this fault here.One of these will be the cause.Unfortunately, there are no related bulletins to this fault here so this isn't a common issue.But one of these above will be the cause and the wire bundle does need to be followed to then locate the fault in the wire or wire connection to then repair it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks, Pete