Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a 2016 Kia Sorento. Yesterday as I was driving, my…

I have a 2016...

I have a 2016 Kia Sorento. Yesterday as I was driving, my car started to lose speed on its own. The vehicle started stuttering but eventually went back to normal speed. It happened several times in the past day when I reach speeds of about 65 suddenly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I have an appointment next week with the dealership but I’m concerned about driving it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’m due for an oil change about 2100 miles ago

3/27/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Are any lights on the dash coming on?
Also are you saying you are 2100 miles overdue for an oil change? I just need to be clear on what I am reading is all.

The engine light came on when I lost speed and yes I am 2100 miles overdue for an oil change

Ok

The very first thing you want to do here is check the oil level. Make sure it's up to the full mark. If it's low, you need to at least top it off. Some of the electronics use oil pressure to work and if it's low, that could be causing the problem. Even if it's not causing the problem, driving it low on oil can damage the engine and it is possible being so many miles over due it has used up some.

It is possible there is some other sensor causing the issue like the cam or crank sensor, what we would need is to have the check engine light scanned. Most parts stores will do this for free for you. Once you have the code you could post it here with me and I could provide more details, but honestly I would start with checking your oil and making sure it's full.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

No I don’t want to talk on the phone

No need to speak on the phone, I already gave you the answer, Please read it and let me know if you need anything else.

The site is prompting the call, not me.

Do you have more questions for me?

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Sorry I wasn’t able to open up the response yesterday for some reason. I will check tomorrow and see if there is oil in there. I have a scheduled appointment with the dealership next week but I may be able to drop it off tomorrow morning. I was just concerned it may be something serious like my engine or transmission. I will let you know what I find out when I have the codes scanned. Thank you