Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

After replacing battery 2003 Kia Sorento has problems

After replacing battery 2003...

After replacing battery 2003 Kia Sorento has problems engaging reverse. All other gears perfect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

New battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just replaced battery. Tested it and was weak

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car ran perfect before battery replacement

3/25/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Is the concern with reverse it slips, or is delayed, or is harsh?

I put in drive it engages. Reverse does nothing with put in reverse. We have to turn car completely off then back on and then it engages

Once you do a restart does reverse work flawlessly the rest of the day engaging and using?

It seems like random issue.

More than likely the issue is within the valve body with a sticking reverse clutch valve or pressure control valve not allowing adequate pressure to get to the reverse clutch to hold the clutch pack together. I recommend an overhaul of the valve body prior to digging in deeper.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician