Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

08 Kia Sorento periodic start problem. turn key t ostart,

Customer Question
08 Kia Sorento periodic...

08 Kia Sorento periodic start problem. turn key t ostart, nothing happens but dash board lights up as normally. Turn key numerous times , nothing. Try putting into gear shift into neutral, nothing, go to fuse /box, unplug relays and put back in, sometimes works or do several times eventual seems to work and will start. Have taking to Kia dealer, they say nothing wrong. This seems to occur periodically -- once a week or twice.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Nothing to do with lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

See my 1st message.explaining problem -starting problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Took to Kia dealer, they could not find a problem as it is periodic

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Kia
3/24/2018
Kia Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Does this occur with the engine cold or hot?

Will you be able to do some electrical tests?

no, occurs sometimes when cold and hot. Sometimes after shut off.
E.G. after 5 months in Phx. on Mar 13, came home, went to garage. started right away. Took out about 9 -10 times. no problem .Yesterday took grandkids home about 30 miles away. driving home stopped at corner store. Got into SUV, turned key, dash lihgts light up as regular but nothing happens to crank starter. Tried sereval times and nothing. Then I went to "Fuse/relay box" , moved some relays on left side, still nothing, Jiggled some relays on right side, turned key and started.
Have done this in the past. In past some start problem, cranking over but won' fire as if not getting fuel. In Sept 10 , had it taken to Kia Dealer, they say can't find anything wrong. What is your phone # and I can call you using "SKYPE". a lot cheaper. Thanks
Not sure if can do electrical tests.

We are only allowed to communicate through the website. If you are not able to do testing I do not believe I can help you diagnose what is causing this issue.