Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I had harmonic balancer bolt shear off on my 06 kia sorento.

Hi, I had harmonic...

Hi, I had harmonic balancer bolt shear off on my 06 kia sorento. Also had an intake valve bent. I have replaced valves and am putting the timing belt back on now. I have it timed up and have been turning it over by hand. Looks ok. But before I try to start it, I have a question. When I do my first revolution the cam marks are not on the timing marks. On the second revolution they are back on the marks. I'm wondering if I can be 180 degrees off on compression stroke vs. exhaust stroke. Doesn't seem to have the compression it should have by hand turning.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

Its a new timing belt and new tensioner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. See above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

3/23/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is a system automated prompt , not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Here is the install procedure, it should explain how to get everything lined up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adkgmihzhbfceu8/fri1.docx?dl=0

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

did you get the documents?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have done all that. All the marks line up.

as long as you have all the marks lined up and followed the directions on the install procedure and when you turn it over by hand everything is ok and tension is ok you will be fine on startup

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I was just worried that it could on the exhaust stroke not the compression stroke. So it takes two revolutions of the crankshaft for the timing marks for the cams to relalign.

thats completely normal, but as long as you set your cams up right and your piston is on compression stroke tdc your fine

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thats my question. How do I know if piston is on compression stroke? The timing mark on the timing flange on crankshaft is aligned on both compression stroke and exhaust stroke. Right.

your overthinking it, if the 1 piston is at TDC and your cams are set to the lines on the pictures that is compression stroke, cams determine the compression or exhaust, the instructions are set for the compression stroke

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I think I am. I'm afraid to death of bending a valve. That was a bitch replacing them. I was just thinking if I lock the cams and take the belt off I could rotate the crank another revolution and put the belt back on and that would change the timing 180 degrees on the cams. I used to rebuild motorcycle engines but everything is right there open to check.

yeah your fine, it sounds like you have everything lined up ok, and if there was any issues you would feel them in the hand turn, which is fine and your lines are matching back up, if anything your being very cautious, which is good

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Okay, Thanks.

your very welcome!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician