Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My door ajar alarm has been dinging when I drive and all the…

Customer Question
My door ajar alarm...

My door ajar alarm has been dinging when I drive and all the doors are closed and locked. I’ve taken it in repeatedly and there is nothing they can find that causes it.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

143k it’s a 2009. It’s been doing this once the car hits above 20mph. It’s been going on for over a year.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Kia?

Borrego

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Borrego yourself? What have you tried so far?

The rear lift gate is locked and cannot be opened which is what started the dinging.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’ve taken it to the dealership several times to no avail. I’m about to go on a*****trip and I just want to disconnect it at this point.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Kia
3/21/2018
Kia Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician  replied 1 month ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I see that the issue that you are having started with the trunk switch. I am suspecting that your door/trunk ajar sign is on the dash also, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is.

Great. I understand your issue. This is going to be due to the trunk lock actuator. The ajar switch is located inside of this component and because the actuator has more than likely failed or been damaged, the vehicle can not recognize that the trunk is closed. In order to repair this issue, you will need to replace the trunk lock actuator. Here, I am attaching the electrical information with the areas of concern highlighted. Just a moment, please.

Here, I am attaching replacement and testing information for the actuator along with trunk trim removal information. The trim panel may need to be cut open to release the trunk if the trunk can't open. There is also a TSB on the trunk actuator not functioning properly. The indicated repair is an updated version of the trunk latch/actuator and the covering.

Look like there is an access hole back there also. So, you will not have to cut.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve taken it to the dealership and they took the panel off the lift gate and couldn’t fix it. They said it was an issue with a circuit on the motherboard?

Ooooh, okay. If this is the case, then the issue is going to be that you need to replace the module that is the issue. In this case, it will be either the tailgate control module the RAM(rear area module). This is the only way to cure this issue is replacing the module.

Here is the location information for these components.

You will need to replace the affected module.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for the answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician