Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2001 kia sportage mil light came on and codes are 0171 and…

Customer Question
2001 kia sportage mil light...
2001 kia sportage mil light came on and codes are 0171 and 0440. Car seemingly runs fine.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
3/19/2018
Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Hi Dan. Thank you

P0440 means there is a leak in the evap system. The evap system allows fuel vapor from tank to get cycled back into engine to reduce emissions. The most common cause of codes are fuel cap, vent solenoid, or purge solenoid. If those don't fix problem then next step would be to have a smoke test done to find leak which a shop would charge around $100 for. P0171 would not be related, this code means vehicle is running lean "too much air such as vacuum leak or not enough fuel such as weak pump" The most common cause of this code would be leaking vacuum cap at rear of intake, leaking vacuum line, or failing mass airflow sensor. I'd expect around a $500 repair for both problems at a shop depending on where you go and what problem ends up being. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

i have a code reader and the fuel trims if that helps at all
There is a hose near the back of the engine the seems to go from the engine near the firewall, to a connection right behind the metal air intake which is dftry and had a crack in it, when i spray carb cleaner there the engine idles up very slightly.

I​f idle goes up that proves it is leaking and needs to be replaced so that would definitely be the place to start with the P0171 code. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Kia Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.