Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I'm getting code p0016 p0017 I replaced the sender's and…

Customer Question
I'm getting code p0016...

I'm getting code p0016 p0017 I replaced the sender's and control valves checked the timing chain the car runs great but still getting the code

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?

Miles 123302

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2012 soul

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Soul yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cam and crank sender's and control valves check timing chain for alinement or stretch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Kia
3/19/2018
Kia Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician  replied 1 month ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

When you had the valve cover off were you able to verify that the cam sprockets are locked to the camshaft?

Gently rotate the camshaft back and forth with a wrench on the hex head between the cam lobes and verify the Constant Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) gear is locked into the camshaft.

The strange thing is that you are getting codes for both cams. Did you check to make sure the crank sprocket ***** *****ned up also?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right now the car is together and runs good I did take it apart to check the chain it was all good and lined up right if o clear the code after I start the car it dose not come back till I shut it off and restart

How strange. What sort of code reader are you using to clear it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've used several different ones it didn't make a difference I was wondering if it maybe a ecm issue.

Maybe, or a cam position sensor issue, but that's not common to see.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The cam position sensors have been replaced and the crank sensor.

When running the engine does the timing look normal on the scan tool or does it jump around?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It jumps around till you touch the gas pedal then it's steddy with that rpm it dose advance and retard with rpm

Have you checked for signs of damage to the electrical connectors on the timing solenoids or to the wiring leading to the connectors?

Is the oil really old, or the wrong viscosity for the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wirers all good oil clean full synthetic proper vescosity
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The control silanoids have 12 v to both wires with the key on so I'm thinking they function by the ecu grounding one or the other to advance or retard is that correct
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been a mechanic for 40+ years this one has me stumped.

No metal shavings or glitter in the oil either?

This one is very strange. I've never seen both codes like that and the timing not be jumped.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do i get my 28$ back from the web site
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The code that keeps coming up is p0017 so exzacly what side is that intake or exzaust

Sorry, I had to leave the shop for the day a little earlier than planned.

The p0017 indicates the bank 1 sensor B. So it's not really one cam, but the position sensors on the cam are saying they aren't agreeing.

I got this from Kia this morning:

Kiatech
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician