Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

When I'm driving my rpm drops and by car jumps but keeps…

When I'm driving my...

When I'm driving my rpm drops and by car jumps but keeps driving. It's scary.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2011, Optima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

It drops to zero.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pretty much everything. I've put it on the diagnostics and it says nothing is wrong though. Should I try the fuel injector something?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I don't know

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is the rpm gauge dropping to 0 when this happens?

Let me know,thanks Pete

It starts fine but this rpm dropping to zero has just started. I've changed the ignition coil and had a tune up to try and fix it.

What causes this fault here is an issue with the engine crank position sensor in most cases.It controls the engine rpm signal.It can act up to where it cuts out and when this occurs the rpm will drop to 0 and the engine will jump or try and stall out.The sensor is around an hours labor to replace and around $100 and is located on the side of the engine block behind a plate/cover as shown below.Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight as there were issues with this also occuring due to a loose or corroded battery cable.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efrq9imdyr8epi5/c-03-15.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6jtc79m7z9u6q8/cr-03-15.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yiuxz3ucak4zxm/cra-03-15.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Is it necessary that we talk or can we finish this via messaging?

No phone call needed as we can continue here as much as needed.Let me know if you received my answer above on this.

Thanks Pete

Motor plug recall. Kia Bob Moore 7340 nw expressway. 1230 on Friday

Are you asking about a recall on your model?

sir

I see a recall for engine bearing failure due to when the factory built the engine they did not clean out all metal shavings but this won't cause the issue you have here and if this applied to your model this would have happened a long time ago.

I see another recall for the evap canister but this won't cause this fault as well either.

I don't see a recall on a motor plug or anything that would cause this fault here.A dealer can take your vehicles VIN number and check to see what recalls are open or available for your model to then perform those repairs.

If you have the actual recall number post it here for me to see but I'm not seeing anything related to this fault myself.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician