Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Battery is drained and the key is locked inside. I have a…

Customer Question
Battery is drained and...

Battery is drained and the key is locked inside. I have a key fob. I need to open the hood from the outside

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

The car battery is dead so it wont receive the key fob signal

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Kia?

12 soul

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Soul yourself? What have you tried so far?

I only need to charge the car battery. My problem is i dont know how to open the hood from the outside

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
3/13/2018
Kia Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician  replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

This can be major pain to do. The best way I have found to open the hood on one of these cars without being able to get in the car is to go from underneath. You won't really be able to see what you are doing, but basically you will reach up past the radiator to the hood latch and move the hood release lever manually. The pictures from Kia are terrible, but this is the part you are trying to move:

Your other option would be to get a coat hanger and try to open the inside door handle. You can use a screwdriver (use a piece of cardboard between the screw driver and the door frame) to open the door frame enough to make it easier to insert the coat hanger. This isn't any easier than reaching up to get to the hood latch.

Did you need any additional info?

No thank you. With the wind deflectors on the doors and the bug guard and skid plate up front I just soent the 40 to have it popped open. Thank you for your time. The battery should be charged by the time i get home from work

That sounds like the best course of action. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.