Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I had diagnostics for dashboard lights: ABS. Traction

Customer Question
I had diagnostics for...

I had diagnostics for dashboard lights : ABS. Traction Control and Airbag.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Local mechanic did diagnostics: codes C1200 ABS - B134600, B148100, B110200 Driver Airbag

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2014 Kia Forte EX- 2L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forte yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took to local auto shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wandering if there is any warranty or recalls I should be aware of. Do I use local auto shop or go to Kia dealer? Thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
3/13/2018
Kia Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Ok, so it's saying the right front wheel speed sensor is open circuit. It's pretty common if there's a snowstorm, for snow to build up and knock the fender liner loose and cause wiring damage. Generally if there is wiring damage due to road debris it's going to be visible in the inner fender area, you shouldn't even need to remove the wheel or anything to find the damage.If you don't find any wiring damage in the fender area then I would take the wheel speed sensor from the left side front unbolt it from the hub spindle area and swap it to the other side you don't even need to actually mount it properly you just plug it in and then try to clear faults and see if it goes away or switches to the opposite side. So what you do is basically move the front left sensor to the front right and the front right sensor to the front left.If the fault doesn't change the opposite side and you haven't found wiring damage there's a good chance that the ABS module is actually bad, there are quite a few places online that specialize in rebuilding ABS modules if you're in the United States my personal favorite is module master in Moscow Idaho and their website has directions on how to remove the electronic portion so you can still drive the vehicle while it's getting fixed.The other faults state that the driver's airbag is faulty in the steering wheel. There's also fault this as the battery voltage was low so at some point the battery died or something. You might want to try just clearing the airbag faults to see if the fault comes back for the drivers one. Since they're extremely expensive, I would personally use www.car-part.com and opt for a used one.I would call the Kia dealer with your VIN number and ask them if you're effected by the Takata airbag recall or any other recalls or warranty extensions.If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that is the only way the site compensates me for my time. Otherwise I make no money for my time whatsoever.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can still ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.