Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I know someone who owns a 2013 Kia optima who has just

I know someone who...

I know someone who owns a 2013 Kia optima who has just replaced the battery for the 4th time 3 weeks ago, each time a message would come up "battery discharge warning" for a few seconds when started. this message just appeared again few days ago so brought vehicle in where I work (Lexus dealership) and had the alternator tested and tested perfect at 14.1 and terminals clean and tight. what else could be causing this maybe a software reprogramming issue as I read somewhere that that was the problem on a different model Kia ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No she's not all that has been done is replacing bad battery the last one 3 weeks ago. she may need to bring in to the Kia dealer but just looking for a little feedback if you have seen this before and it could be something other than an alternator like a software issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at the moment.

3/12/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Is the battery actually bad or just dead needing to be charged?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The last battery that was replaced three weeks ago was a cheaper battery from Napa and was dead and was replaced with a sears duralast battery. this battery tested good Saturday as well as the alternator.

So the customer goes out, tries to start the vehicle, it fails, they see the discharge message. Does it start with a jump start? Then charge while running and no longer have an issue?

Is this how it pans out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no sir, it starts fine but the message is displayed for few seconds and then goes off, she says this happens days or weeks before it eventually does have starting issues and will not start. it's kinda the indication something is draing the battery and it will eventually not start, i'm wondering if it could possibly be a software issue or anything other than an alternator or maybe it's an intermitten alternator problem just tying to get a little direction or know of anything that could be causing the 'battery discharge warning' message other than an alternator ?

Thanks, ***** ***** should indicate the PCM or the alternator is to blame. This is a computer controlled charging system. I find the alternator to blame more often than not with this warning but I also confirm that from codes retrieved and some diagnostics being done. If this were a parasitic draw issue, the warning would not come on or be on while running.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the info and your time it sounds like she needs to bring in the car for a little diag and check if any trouble codes are present or stored.

Your comment is correct.

Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Phone call session started
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician