Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2006 Kia Sorento, doing a timing belt. It not clear what…

Customer Question
2006 Kia Sorento, doing a...
2006 Kia Sorento, doing a timing belt. It not clear what part of the sprocket is supposed to line up with the timing marks. Is it the highest point of the tooth or is it the lowest point on the sprocket?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Kia
3/11/2018
Kia Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician  replied 1 month ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand your issue, and the answer is, that you are not worried about the tooth. You are going to be focused on the marks only. You want to be sure the mark are as straight(in-line) as possible, regardless where the tooth is. Here, I am attaching the timing information, just in case.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Checking them now
I have to say, that looks great. You will have no problem at all.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I am having a problem. It won't start. It started couple days ago before I put everything back together, I only let it run for a second. But now it won't start. I took apart to make sure everything still lines up and it does. But no start. I replace the reluctor wheel on the crank when I did the belt.
What could be the problem. Ran fine before belt replacement.

A​re you sure the number one cylinder was at TDC when you lined everything up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure. If I pull the plug out of#1 cylinder and put a screw driver in there it should tell me, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I cranked it over by hand 10xs before I tried to start it and I didn't feel anything hit

T​ry putting the oil dipstick in there, as the screwdriver could potentially cause damage. l;

Turn the motor until all of the marks are in the correct position and then check the number one cylinder.

Did you check to be sure that the vehicle was still getting fuel and fire. This could also be the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's tdc for sure. I will put belt back on and check for fuel and spark. If no fuel or spark. What would the problems be possibly

I​f no fuel, the check to see if the pump is coming on. If no spark(which more that likely is the case) the check for good connections at the crank and cam sensors.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when I crank the motor by hand w/key on I can hear the fuel pump kick on for a second when I hit tdc for each cylinder. What I don't get is a spark from. I should be getting a spark, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way to test crank and cam sensor? Like I said I replaced the reluctor wheel on crank because it was damaged.
I will check, although, thebest way is to scan the vehicle for trouble codes. This will indicate the area of concern
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've scanned it and no trouble code.

Here is the testing information for the circuits. The sensors are hall effect sensors and the only way to test them is with a scan tool.

Keep me posted. If you need me, I'm here. Also, please, do not forget to rate the service.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for the answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician