Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

I have a video when my kia motor is idleing, it sounds

Hi, I have a video...
Hi, I have a video when my kia motor is idleing, it sounds clicking much, what can be wrong.
It is a kia sorento 2008 ex.
There is much black smoke when it start.
It starts, and after a couple of second (10 sec), it stops.
Can I post a video that showes it?Reg
Bjarni
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you receive my video? It is only 10sec, but homepage says it is too big??
Do you have an e-mail adr where I can send it?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

the usual route for showing a video is to post up a You tube link ?

however to address the rattle

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired
If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure to correctly synchronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise.

If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other end of the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces.

If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I can try it on youtube.
I have turned all pulley/pumps, and they'r ok. I've run the engine without the belt, and it still sounds bad, therfore the problem is somewhere else.
The crank-shaft pulley has been removed, and timing chain has been placed correctly. Also 3 chain oil-tensioner has been checked and are all ok.
I've tried the compression on all cylinders, it's 30 bar.
The pressure on fuel pump to injectors is about 600bar when cranking.
But it still clicks a lot when idleing.
Can it be a fuel injector problem?
Maybe a video could help you to locate the issue?

Hello

thanks for the extra info

a video may help but you've already helped narrow it down

so I'd say the next step is to listen to the injectors, its hard to hear them ‘clicking’ with back ground noise so if you use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector on a running engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her are 2 links:
As you say, maybe it is a fuel-problem, injector or fuel-tank pump??https://youtu.be/Q0d71q_NRz8https://youtu.be/WIuZLG-3gNA

Hello

thanks for the extra information

the noise sounds top end related or injector to me

so if there's any difficulties starting or lack of power then this backs up an injector issue

otherwise I'd say it may be wise to remove the cam cover and inspect the level of valve lash / clearance

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are the exhaust and intake valves adjustable in this Kia Sorento EX 2008? or are they hydraulic/lub-oil ?

Hello

the valves are non- adjustable there's a hydraulic element to take up the valve lash

do you have difficulties starting which would point to injectors?

I also note that you have some measuring tubes on each injector , are you doing a run-back test?

does this show anything?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi MattThank you for your info.
I've changed the 16 lifters(picture attached).The measuring tubes on each injector, showed me that injector nr1(first from front) drained most fuel after a couple og start up/shut down, but not the double amount.
Do you know what amount of fuel in a run back test is accaptable for this engine ideling for about 30sec. or 1 minute??

Hello

I'm afraid that I don't have the run back fuel volumes

all I know is that you run the test and tend to look for differences between injectors

typically a faulty injector will be flowing a lot more than its cousins

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, where can I messure the lub oil pressure on top end?
Is the electric lub oil sensor/switch the only place I can messure the lub oil pressure on the engine?
What should the pressure be when ideling?

Hello

best place to measure the head / top end oil supply is to Tee off where the turbo oil pipe comes off the cylinder head , there's a banjo bolt on a metal pipe that runs to the middle of the turbo

I'd expect to see about 1.5 Bar to 2 bar at idle

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you, ***** ***** try measuring the lub oil pressure when possible.
You mentioned before, if I didn't hear the "click" from injectors, then I should check the ECU power. Is it possible to measure the voltage with a normal voltmeter? Can I measure on each injector by disconecting it and measure the voltage in the plug-and-socket connection when cranking or idle??

Hello

yes with a voltmeter across the injector terminals an on cranking or idle should briefly flash up with a 12V signal

the only issue is that the injection pulse is very fast and a lot of meter won't move fast enough to register a full 12V

but its worth a go to see if its the same on all

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer