Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2017 Sorento with a lot of at start up. Electrical is fine.

Hi Pearl, 2017 Sorento...

Hi Pearl, 2017 Sorento with a lot of white at start up

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Electrical is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to Kia dealer, mechanic saw the smoke and said that's normal ... I've never seen a vehicle smoke like this before

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's my primary issue

3/8/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Okay

Does it do this just at start up? Once the engine is warmed up good does the smoke stop?

Mostly at start up but trace exhaust smoke seems to be present all the time

Ok, please allow me a moment to type my reply.

Thank you.

If this helps: it will smoke for about 10 mins at start up and I run ethanol free 93 octave gas all the time

Water is a by product of combustion. The closer the car is to perfect emissions, the more water it will generate. As the catalytic converters start off cold, the smoke from the engine is free to go right out the tail pipes. This is very visible on chilly mornings or after the car has sat a while and the exhaust cools down. The water can pool up in the exhaust and cause this. I would not be alarmed since it is slowing down. Oddly, it actually means the car is running very close to perfect emissions.

If you are more comfortable, you could take it for a second opinion, but if it's not using any coolant, chances are this really is normal.

GDI engine, guess I have to get used to this. Thanks Mike!
One more thing
Should I use a gas cleaning additive?

You are very welcome,

No, if you are running 93 in it, it really doesn't need it.

Maybe once a year put some injector cleaner in the tank, otherwise, it really doesn't need it.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Thank you, ***** ***** much better hearing this from you. You're a 5 star guy, at least!

Thank you and thank you for the rating!

Hey Mike, You did a great job and I gave you a 5 star rating. I don't have any other Kia questions at this time but if I do I know where to you.

Thanks and glad to hear everything is good.

I appreciate the rating as well, thank you.