Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

We have a 2014 Kia Sorento that just started acting a little…

Hi - we have a...
Hi - we have a 2014 Kia Sorento that just started acting a little crazy! When we put it in park, shut the vehicle off, and opened the doors, it just started beeping. I restarted it, made sure all the doors were shut, shut it off, and the beeping continued. Then I just started turning random knobs and pushing buttons. Now, the door ajar indicator light is still on, and beeping; the parking light indicator is on, lights are on, but the controls are in the off position. And, the hazards are on, and I can't get them to shut off... My main concern right now is for the battery, since the parking lights are on..
1/17/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Has the door ajar indicator been on the whole time?

that's where it started

Ok, the site is going to prompt a phone call. Please don't accept, it's not needed.

It already did, and I'm not!

What you'll need to do is go around to each door, open it and check the door switch. These are usually on the door jamb, unless it tells you specifically which door is open, then go to that door and inspect the switch. If there is ice or the rubber is off the button, it might be causing the problem.

The other thing I think you should try is to lock and unlock the car with the remote. If the lights are on because of a security issue, this may reset it. Even though all the doors are closed, if the switch isn't telling the body control module it's closed, it's going to think it's open and cause the problem.

Check these out and let me know how you make out.

Thank you.

the good news is that everything is off now. The bad news is that the battery is dead.

That is bad news, we aren't going to be able to check things with the battery flat.

It sounds to me like one of the door switches has failed. Normally it would be the driver side, I was checking to see if it's part of the door latch assembly or a separate switch so we could check it.

I am sorry, not sure what more I can do here with a flat battery.

Thank you anyway!

You're very welcome! Good luck with it!! Have a good night!

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician