Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

My 2005 Sportage wont start even with a boost. The

My 2005 Sportage wont...

My 2005 Sportage wont start even with a boost. The electrical just flickers and when in neutral eveything electrical flickers stops and starts up again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I have not, that was going to be my first check. There is no corrosion visable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do not fix my car, but I did have both front catalytic converters replace on saturday and the guy pulled out many parts to get them installed and I was wondering if he may have effected the alternator. I did get one boost to work and the car shut down again in less than 10 minutes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This would cover everthing.

1/17/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So it sounds like there is just a bad connection somewhere, I would start with the basics and check battery connections and all other major voltage connections, clean and re secure

When you say all major voltage connections you need to be specefic for me. To me this just means the battery and alternator.

that and to your fuse panel, and the grounds as well

ok, thank you!

your very welcome

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician