Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Wont start on first try. New battery. alternator and starter…

Customer Question
Wont start on first...

Wont start on first try.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

New battery. alternator and starter checked yesterday. no issues.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

2008 sportage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sportage yourself? What have you tried so far?

Looks like electrical issue. locked/unlocked doors 3 times to reset computer. worked great yesterday. trying to isolate problem so i can fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sounds like it could be faulty brake switch, the immobilizer or the fuel pump relay.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Kia
1/15/2018
Kia Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

does the car turn over OK on the starter but just fail to catch?

also can you tell me what engine size and fuel type this is please?

also how many miles are on the car?

and if you have a check engine light on?

it does not turn over on 1st turn. 2.0 4-cyl engine. 122000 miles. no check engine light.
are you there?

hello

still here

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

we did most of that. new battery, starter and alternator. any way to bypass immobilizer on kia sportage?

hello

not really I'm afraid

like most modern cars there's a antenna around the ignition lock that reads the chip in the key and then feeds it through a security module before allowing power to the ECU

if the key is faulty then the car won't fire up

what can help is to replace the key-fob battery and then apply the re-synchronisation procedure:

• Behind the battery on the drivers side is a plastic covered connector labeled Diagnostics.
  • Open the plastic cover on the Diagnostics port by pulling up on the edge near the FRONT of the vehicle.
  • Get your prepped/stripped jumper wire and place one end in connector pin 6
    Run the other end of the jumper wire to the POSITIVE terminal on your battery, you can just push it into the little opening on there so it stays in place for a few minutes.
  • Get into your vehicle with your key fobs.
  • Put one key into your ignition and turn to ON position, DO NOT start your vehicle.
  • If you just have ONE key fob to reprogram, when you turn the vehicle to ON, hold the LOCK button down for 3 seconds, the lights on the dash will go off, and you are done. Turn the key off, disconnect the wire, and try the key fob.
Matt, Engineer